brg_admin | Feb 1, 2019 | 0
Beaverton Farmers Market: Wild Mushrooms
The Gems of the Pacific Northwest –
Oregon’s wet, green forests produce an abundance of wild mushrooms. Some are edible, some are not. At the BFM we are pleased to have the experts at The Mushroomery provide us with a delicious assortment of safe, edible wild mushrooms each and every week. Owner Dustin Olsen’s business sprang from an earnest passion and love for mushrooms. In addition to searching the forests for edible wilds, he also grows culinary and medicinal mushrooms offering them in both fresh and dried forms.
If you are intimidated by the idea of cooking unusual fungi, don’t worry! The knowledgeable people at the Mushroomery are happy to share preparation methods and recipes with their customers. Here is a recipe for a soul satisfying soup that is perfect on a dreary Spring day.
Shiitake Mushroom and Leek Soup
- 4 ozs. shiitake mushrooms (sliced and halved, stems removed)
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks (white part only)
- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cans (13 3/4 oz) beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo
- Cook and stir mushrooms and leeks in butter, until tender.
- Add sherry and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add broth and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Stir in pasta and cook about 10 minutes until tender.
Makes 8 cups.