brg_admin | Aug 1, 2019 | 0
PGE Update: Heading Outside? 8 rules to help keep you safe
By PGE Staff
Follow these electrical safety guidelines when working or playing outdoors this spring.
- Know what’s below: Call 811 before you dig to have underground utility locations marked.
- Look up! Check for overhead power lines before moving ladders, extension pruners or other longer tools.
- Fly kites, drones and model planes only in open areas away from power lines.
- Teach children to stay away from trees near power lines and electric utility equipment such as power poles or ground-level transformer boxes.
- Don’t mix water and electricity. Keep electrical equipment away from pools, ponds and standing water.
- Use only heavy-duty, grounded, three-pronged extension cords labeled for outdoor use.
- Outdoor outlets should have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) to help prevent electric shock and outlet covers to block water.
- Need to prune or remove a tree? If you see a wire in the work area, call our tree hotline at 800-544-1794 to help you assess the safest way to do it..