Are you thinking about getting into photography? Here are some great tips to help
Knowing how to take a good photograph is a practical and creative skill that everyone can benefit from. Whether you want to document personal and family events or make artistic masterpieces, you’ll have to start with the basics. The Shutterbug is Oregon’s favorite camera store, offering everything from Sony®, Nikon® and Canon® cameras to photography classes. Their team is here to give five tips for budding photogs.
Camera Store’s 5 Tips for New Shutterbugs
- Buy a Practical Camera: You don’t need to buy the most expensive camera starting out. However, it is essential to find something reliable that will last. Stop by your local camera store for help choosing a camera best suited to your needs. If you’re on a tight budget, consider buying a pre-owned camera.
- Invest in a Tripod A tripod is worth the money: They help you position the camera correctly and avoid instability and shaky hands, which could cause blurs. You can also use your camera’s timer in conjunction with a tripod. This is particularly useful for portraits and group shots.
- Find the Light: Light is one of the most crucial factors to consider when taking a photo. Natural light can be used to produce beautiful images, but it can also create shadows, depending on the position of the sun and subject. Always find your light and reposition the model or change the location to avoid unsightly shadows. Consider the time of day as well; many photographers prefer the early morning, late afternoon, or dusk for ideal light conditions.
- Keep Your Camera Handy: More often than not, the best photos are candid. Photo opportunities can pop up anytime. Take your camera and a tripod with you, so you’re ready when the moment strikes. You can also take notes on your phone or a tablet of scenes or places you’d like to return to photograph.
- Experiment With Settings: Cameras contain several settings for different conditions and situations. Parameters include the aperture, ISO, shutter speed, metering, and white balance. Your camera may have pictures depicting what settings are ideal for different situations, such as sports, outdoors, or nighttime. Try different settings to see what works best in various circumstances with different subjects.
If you’re a Portland or Beaverton resident, stop by The Shutterbug for everything you need to take eye-catching photos. Their friendly staff will help you choose the ideal camera and offer more tips to help you get started. Call (503) 227-3456 or visit their website to learn more about this camera store.
Have more questions? Schedule a 1-on-1 in-person photo class at the Shutterbug (1 hr for $45) online or in-store! Need to rent a camera? Give us a call for availability at (503) 639-5088.