brg_admin | Sep 1, 2020 | 0
Beaverton Business (Catalyst Newsletter): Gratitude! Is it dead?
By Spencer Rubin
Someone in the community recently asked me for a huge favor. It was a monstrous donation of time and resources on my part.
Always loving to help when I can…I very willingly obliged.
After hours of prep…hours of application…and a few hours of break down/clean post event…I…GOT…NADA!
I did not donate my time and resources for any other gain. I did it to help. BUT, a thank you at the event…or a thank you card in the mail post event would have been nice.
Gotta say, I’m a bit disgruntled.
Some of you might say: “Relax buddy! Maybe they simply forgot.”
I get that…but that’s not good enough these days. You have to be thankful, and you have to show it. Otherwise you might just lose people!
GRATITUDE! Is it dead?
Honestly…I sometimes think it is…but truthfully I’m not sure.
If Gratitude is not dead, it definitely is stage 4 and on death row.
In my 1st career, I hosted people quite often in a VIP Chalet at the annual air show in Hillsboro. Every year, I received no more than one thank you card and one thank you email. Were people not thankful? Most were, but I believe we have traveled far away from going out of your way to say “Thank You”. Some still do…and it STANDS OUT!
Here is a very nice Hand Made thank you card from some amazing kids, who received a special event that my company, Play.Fit.Fun, donated to them:
When I received it…it put a huge smile on my face. It made me feel appreciated. It made me want to do more nice things for them!
Ask yourself some questions:
- When was the last time you sent your customers a thank you card?
- When was the last time you sent a thank you email to your customers?
- When was the last time you spent time on your dining room or show room floor and thanked your customers for choosing you?
- When was the last time you popped into some customers’ businesses to say hello and thank them?
- When was the last time you did something nice for your customers out of the blue?
- When there is a line at your business, when was the last time you went up and down the line and thanked them for coming, promised them you will get them through the line as quickly as possible, brought them a little treat?
If it’s been a while, you might want to get to work on this.
Gratitude is powerful. If you have it, but don’t show it…what good is it?
Truthfully, I don’t really believe Gratitude is dead…not for everyone. But for some it is, and for some it is on life support.
If others are going to be terrible as showing it…now is the time for you and your employees to get into Gratitude Overdrive! Apart from being the right thing to do, it will REALLY make you stand out!
REMEMBER: Gratitude connects! Gratitude bonds! Gratitude humanizes! Gratitude is a must!
Have it…and Show It. Enjoy showing it! It’s fun!
- Be Great! Just Being Good, Kills Greatness!
- Make It Easy For People To Do, And Keep Doing Business With You!
- Look Up…And Surprise Someone!
Spencer Rubin is a sales/marketing expert who has spent 27 years in the industry. Spencer has become a passionate advocate for the success of small, local business owners. To sign up for Spencer’s weekly Catalyst Newsletter. Contact 971-732-4745.