Beaverton Then and Now: The Beaverton Hotel, 1880

Beaverton Then and Now: The Beaverton Hotel, 1880

#BeavertonHistory

 

During the late 1880s, The Hotel Beaverton and its successor, the Commercial Hotel, was built at the southeast corner of Front Street (now Farmington Road) and Washington Street, a half block from the Southern Pacific Railroad depot. The modest, two-story wooden building would be renovated, enlarged, and remain prominent in Beaverton for almost 80 years.

Ownerships came and went, each modifying what one entrepreneur called “Two Hotels in One”. Proprietorship was most closely associated, however, with John and Annunziata Merlo who purchased the hostelry in 1915, established a boarding house, and served home-cooked meals for 25 cents.

In 1941, the federal government leased the hotel from the Merlos for military and civilian war workers, returning it to their possession after World War II ended. The historic structure that welcomed travelers, leased space to professional businesses, and provided homes for apartment dwellers endured until the late 1960s. The site is now the parking lot for Mo Cha Tea House.

 

For more information, visit us at www.historyofbeaverton.org, email info@historyofbeaverton.org.