Beaverton Then & Now: Broadway Street at West Street, 1892

Beaverton Then & Now: Broadway Street at West Street, 1892

#BeavertonHistory

 

W.E. Squires stands with his greyhound at the far left of this 1892 photo. His wife, Francis, stands by the gate to the family’s home while Dave Wheeler sits in the wagon. The building at the left is W.E. Squires’ blacksmith shop.

By the 1890s, the tiny town of Beaverton (population 250) boasted churches, fraternal organizations, a school and several businesses. One of the most important was owned by blacksmith and skilled craftsman W.E. Squires (1859-1923).

In addition to the shop where he shod horses for the farming community, he also made and repaired patent buggies, hacks (horse-drawn carriages), carts, carriages, and agricultural implements. His motto: “Small Profits and Quick Sales.”

 

An 1887 newspaper ad noted his prices:

  • Buggies: $75 ($2500 today)
  • Hacks and carts: $125 ($4200 today)
  • Carriages: $35-$50 ($1265-$1670 in today’s dollars).

Within a couple decades, as mass-produced automobiles made their appearance and dominated the roads, carriages and buggies declined as a primary form of transportation. W.E. Squire retired and his building torn down.

 

For more information, visit us at www.historyofbeaverton.org, email info@historyofbeaverton.org.