Building health and wellness in older adults
When considering health and wellness in our senior years, it’s most often applied to our physical condition, but should also encompass our cognitive and emotional states as well.
If even just one of the physical, cognitive or mental states are suffering, it’s likely not long before the others are impacted as well.
There are a few things older adults can do to tend to their overall health and wellness.
Starting with physical fitness, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these guidelines:
- 150 minutes of exercise per week.
- Two days of muscle-
- strengthening activities.
- Balance exercises.
When it comes to cognitive health, here are a few simple ideas:
- Healthy, consistent sleep patterns.
- Challenging your brain by learning new skills.
- Keep reading, as it is a complex task that requires multiple parts of the brain to work together.
For mental and emotional wellness, consider the following:
- Maintain social ties and relationships.
- Volunteer with a local charity or organization.
- Practice meditation and mindfulness.
Join Us For a Free Wellness Event
To learn more about wellness in aging, Prestige Senior Living Beaverton Hills invites you to a free seminar on Wednesday, August 16 from 10 a.m. – Noon., which will be followed by a picnic lunch on our patio.
You’ll learn valuable tips and information on making the most of your senior years with wellness, as well as how our community’s innovative programming helps residents celebrate life at every age.
For more information, visit us online at prestigecare.com/beavertonhills or call us at (503) 520-1350.