End of year reminders for people with pets (Q&A with the Animal Shelter)
Each month, you will have the chance to have your questions answered by the animal shelter.
What can I do for my pet to prepare for the new year?
- Check your pet’s identification. In addition to making sure the information connected to their microchip is up to date, take a minute to check that your dog or cat is wearing a collar with an easy-to-read ID tag as well. While microchips help many animals make it back home once a pet arrives at an animal shelter or veterinarian’s office, your neighbors are likely to look for a collar and tag first if they find your furry friend!
- While you are checking to make sure your pet’s ID tag information is up to date and easy to read, also check the fit of their collar (both too tight and too loose can be dangerous) and that it’s in good condition.
- Has your dog’s license expired? Or have you moved or otherwise changed your contact information since licensing them? Give us a call at 503-846-7041 and we’ll help you make updates. You can also license your dog for the first time or renew their license through our website, by mail or in person at the shelter.
- Plan now for upcoming veterinary appointments. Vet clinics are busy and wait times for appointments may be long. Look ahead to 2022 to see if your pet will need vaccines or other appointments. Get them on the calendar now if you can.
- If you have a dog, take some time to check all around your fence as an escape prevention measure. Are there boards that are loose or warped? Are there spots where your dog or another critter has started to tunnel? Is the gate closed and latched? Does the gate stay latched?
Doing a little work now will make for a nice start to the new year for both you and your pet!
For more information on these topics and more, please visit www.WashingtonCountyPets.com or call us at (503) 846-7041. The Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter is located in downtown Hillsboro at 1901 SE 24th Ave. Email your questions to: Stacy_Beckley@co.washington.or.us