Enjoy some market music while you shop
Last month, we kicked off the first day of our regular season, and some of our vendors that have been waiting for a bit of sunshine were finally able to join us. We now have music bands providing entertainment to our marketgoers with their array of music that varies from classical music all the way to pop hits and even movie soundtracks! The bands joining us this month are:
- 06/03: Beaverton School Kids (assorted)
- 06/10: Jester (Classic Rock band)
- 06/17: Fadin by 9 (assorted, bluegrass)
- 06/24: Rhythm Dogs (jazz, funk, dub, and reggae)
You can find lots of exciting ideas for the grilling season, and between your shopping, grab hot lunch with our vendors, among which you will find authentic Ethiopian food, light tacos, Hawaiian grill, succulent BBQ, Asian fusion Neapolitan style pizza, and many more. You will be sure to find something for everyone. To cool down, stop by the fresh lemonade stand Liquid Sunshine, or try Kulfi, a South-Asian dessert bar. We’ve got over 130 great local businesses that are waiting for you!
OSU Extension Master Gardeners, who are volunteer educators, neighbors, and on-the-ground researchers who serve their community with solid science-based training, sustainable gardening and a love of lifelong learning, will join us weekly at the market. Come by their booth on the north side of the market and bring your gardening questions! They will help you identify plants, pests and solve other gardening mysteries. Please continue following our newsletter for the latest news and to find out about the events or special guests.
Summer season is very busy at the market, we have hundreds of people strolling around, kids having snacks, and everyone comes to have a good time. While all of us at BFM are huge animal lovers, we ask our marketgoers to be courteous about their dogs and their leashes. If you happen to wander in with your pooch, Home Plate Youth Services will offer a doggy daycare right to the side of the park starting June. For a humble donation, they will make sure that your puppy is well cared for while you are shopping and enjoying the market with ease.
Recipe: Bright Spring Salad
This light and zesty Spring Salad, found on the Love and Lemons blog, is a perfect lunch or guilt-free dinner with all the fresh vegetables you can find at the market. There’s no right or wrong about this salad, you simply toss in what you like with the proportions you prefer, which is what we love about it.
Here are the ingredients:
- Asparagus – this in-season vegetable is easy to find at the market these days. Simply blanch it until crisp-tender but still bright green.
- Peas – blanch for sweetness and color, or even use snap peas for crunch.
- Radishes – not only do they add a pop of beautiful pink, they also bring that spring vitamin boost and zest.
- Toasted pistachios or chickpeas (or both) – great texture and a good helping of protein.
- Avocado – creamy richness for the texture and vitamins.
- Fresh herbs – use whatever you or your loved ones love eating (parsley, basil, dill, etc) on a bed of mixed salad greens like lettuce, arugula, or kale.
- Feta cheese – tangy and creamy, it’s a great addition. But feel free to swap it for fresh mozzarella or any other cheese, or even leave it out if you prefer to go plant-based with this recipe.
- Herb-flecked dressing: lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil and chopped basil