FREE Fall Risk Evaluations: Tracking fall risks in the home
A rug not fastened to the floor. A slippery surface in the bathroom. A small pet running around.
Each of those are common in the homes of many older adults, and all are among the hazards that can lead to falls in seniors. But taking just a few minutes to scan the home for dangers can help keep you or a loved one safe.
Here are a few things to look for, or consider, in different rooms in the home:
Living Room / Bedroom:
- Remove loose cords and wires or fasten them to baseboards or the floor.
- Remove clutter like piles of newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Ensure all light bulbs are bright enough and working and keep spares on hand.
- Check that handrails are securely fastened to the wall.
- If stairs are carpeted, ensure the carpet is securely glued to the floor.
- If stairs are hardwood, install non-slip adhesive strips.
- Install non-slip mats or pads in the shower or tub.
- Install weight-bearing grab bars or railings for assistance getting up and down.
- Install nightlights for increased visibility overnight.
- Free Fall Risk Evaluations at Prestige Senior Living Beaverton Hills
If you or a loved one is concerned about falling, our team here at Prestige Senior Living Beaverton Hills is offering free fall risk evaluations throughout April at our community. Our team will work with you or a loved one to determine possible risk factors for a fall.
To book a time for an evaluation, contact us at (503) 520-1350, or visit our website at prestigecare.com/BeavertonHills and select “Fall Risk Evaluations” from the drop-down menu on the form.
For more information, or to schedule a visit, call us at (503) 520-1350, or visit us online at prestigecare.com/BeavertonHills.