Happy New Year from the Beaverton Farmer’s Market! We will see you in February
Happy New Year to you and yours! While we’ve missed the camaraderie of the market, the break has been a welcome reprieve and allowed us to reset and recharge for the next season. We’re looking forward to seeing all your beaming faces (masked, of course!) in February when the Market resumes with the start of the Winter season. The Winter Market runs every Saturday from February through March, 10:00AM-1:30 PM. You can stay up-to-date on Market happenings, recipes, new and returning vendors, and other tips and information by subscribing to our newsletter on beavertonfarmersmarket.com
Everyday Bowls with Apple Dressing and Feta
After indulging in rich food and libations throughout the holiday season, Marketing Director, Kate Laubernds, goes on a plant heavy kick to nourish her family and help build immunity for the middle of winter. Lucky for her, her two small children are wild about vegetables and plant heavy grain bowls and soups.
A family favorite and mid-winter staple in her house is Everyday Bowls with Apple Dressing and Feta from the cookbook “Whole Bowls,” by Allison Day.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 small red or golden beets, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, and ground pepper to taste
- ½ bunch of curly or purple kale, tough stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounces of sheep’s milk feta
Quinoa and Chickpeas
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustang
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Dressing: In a small saucepan, bring apple cider to a boil, reduce heat to medium, allowing the cider to simmer for 8-10 minutes until reduced by half, or about ¼ cup. Transfer to a glass jar. Add remaining dressing ingredients and screw on a lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.
- Roast Vegetables: On a large-rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes, beets, rosemary, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons Apple Dressing together. Roast for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through. Add kale on top of the vegetables and roast for 5 minutes more until kale is wilted. Remove from over and toss the vegetables together.
- Quinoa and Chickpeas: In a medium saucepan bring water and quinoa to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn heat off, add chickpeas on top and cover again allowing to steam for 5 minutes more. Remove lid and fluff quinoa and chickpeas.
- Serve: In bowls add quinoa and chickpeas; top with vegetables and feta crumbles, and remaining dressing.