In this photo, see 110-year-old historic tree alongside historic house on Canyon Rd

In this photo, see 110-year-old historic tree alongside historic house on Canyon Rd

The Oregon white oak (quercus garryana) is an attractive deciduous hardwood tree native to Oregon. It is found as far north as British Columbia and as far south as Southern California.

These lovely hardwoods seem able to withstand both lengthy flooding and drought and are most common on sites that are either too exposed or too dry for other tree species.

During the 1800’s, oak savanna was a common sight in the Willamette Valley. Mature oaks provided an abundance of food for the Kalapuya Indians, who used the tree’s acorns to make acorn meal. Its large acorns mature in a single season, ripening from late August to November.

For Arbor Month, Beaverton’s Favorite Tree is also an historic tree. It is located in front of Trek Bicycle Beaverton at 12345 SW Canyon Rd.

There are actually two significant Oregon White Oaks at this location next to an historic home. The one selected this year was considered as a past Favorite Tree of Beaverton.

With a 40-inch Diameter trunk and standing nearly 60 feet tall, this tree creates a great visual, welcoming driver travelling down both Hall Blvd and Canyon Rd. This amazing White Oak is listed as T26 on Beaverton’s significant tree and grove inventory map.

 

For more information and to view the map, visit: content.civicplus.com/api/assets/c9f44db6-ed85-49ad-af32-6597c32192f2. This Native Plant of the Month has been brought to you by the City of Beaverton’s Landscape and Urban Forestry Department.

 

St. Cecelia Church & School, 1913

In 1903, the Archbishop of Oregon City, Alexander Christie, purchased a tract of land in Beaverton to build a church. Prior to this, there were Catholic churches in the Cedar Mill and Cooper Mountain areas, but Beaverton’s population was growing, so it seemed a logical choice.

The vacant property was on Canyon Road, just east of Hall Boulevard. The Reverend L.A. LeMiller acquired a building that formerly housed a cheese factory and moved it to the site.

On August 2, 1908, the church was dedicated to St. Mary. In 1912, two priests shared parish duties for three years until Father Daum was assigned.

After Reverend Patrick O’Flynn succeeded Father Daum, the two adjoining lots were purchased and the renovated factory razed. In 1913, the new structure was completed and dedicated to St. Cecelia.

The church seated about 75 people, the basement served as a social hall, and two upstairs rooms were used for a school. Sister Regis and Sister Miriam were the first teachers.

After a fire destroyed the priest’s Cedar Mill residence, a rectory was built adjacent to the church. That building still stands on the northeast corner of SW Canyon Road and SW Hall Boulevard.

By 1935, the burgeoning congregation needed a new and larger building to serve current and future generations, but the Great Depression slowed this progress.

Finally, in 1949, St. Cecelia was dedicated at its present location on SW Franklin Avenue. The old church was demolished in 1951. Damerow Fird now occupies this historic site.

 

For more information, visit us at www.historyofbeaverton.org, email info@historyofbeaverton.org.