Look people in the eye… it’s still okay, and a nice thing to do
I get it! People are scared. Worried. They don’t want to breath in your germs…or share theirs with you.
BUT I study people…and (generally speaking) people have changed!
They look the other direction as they pass people. No acknowledgement. I have been doing my own sociological study. Now, some people will move out of the sidewalk as you near, walk past and smile, nod or say hello. But many people have changed! They are looking down, looking in the sky, looking away…until they pass you. I get the fear…but whatever you want to call this…it is anti-social, and it’s growing.
As a business owner or manager, you need to be concerned about how your employees are engaging customers…more than ever!
Outside the biz…you can’t control how your people act. But inside, eye contact and acknowledgement have to be dialed up.
For 3 major reasons:
- Because it’s called service…and customers want and deserve it!
- It is likely, that many competitors have not thought of this and are traveling down “Status Quo Service Avenue” …so this is your opportunity to dial up the engagement, and serve like you’ve never served before!
- Humans are social animals, and IF people are looking the other direction, and other people are feeling a tad alienated, then your amazing eye-to-eye service will make customers feel more welcome…and more willing to gift their support and hard-earned money…TO YOU!
LOOK EM IN THE EYE! SAY HELLO! IT STILL WORKS!!
- Make it easy for people to do (and keep doing) business with you!
- Look up… and surprise someone!
Spencer Rubin is a sales/marketing expert and a passionate advocate for the success of small, local business owners. To sign up for Spencer’s weekly Catalyst Newsletter. Contact 971-732-4745.
“Don’t give up, don’t EVER give up” ~Coach Jim Valvano