Protect your back and improve posture while working at home with these 8 helpful tips
Ready to start enjoying the benefits of great posture? Here’s a quick checklist that you can follow as you sit down each day to ensure that you are seated properly:
- Ensure that your feet are resting flat on the floor or are resting on a footrest if you cannot reach the ground while seated.
- Keep your knees and ankles uncrossed and loose – without tension or tightness in the joints.
- Try to keep a small gap from the inside of your knees to the cushion of the chair.
- To achieve the gap, you will feel the need to sit tall, keeping your knees and hips aligned in the chair, avoiding crossing knees or ankles.
- Relax your shoulders and ensure that your knees are parallel over your ankles.
- Try to maintain an L-shape in your arms as you are seated at a table or desk, keeping the chair at a height that you can sit comfortably and work effectively.
- Keep your back straight and keep your neck and shoulders in line with your back as you are seated to reduce tension and discomfort.
- Every ten to fifteen minutes, allow yourself a short break to stand up and walk around to loosen up your muscles.
Restoring your posture is a long-term process that will require you to consistently check your seated position and break your habits. However, the rewards of proper posture – while not noticed in the short-term – will offer great benefits to your health, productivity, and attitude. You can’t afford not to fix your posture – and it’s a healthy habit you can start today!
Dr. Duy Bui is a board-certified chiropractic physician at ReNu Chiropractic Health with offices in Aloha and Beaverton. Visit renuchiro.com or for more information, call (503) 406-2020.