brg_admin | Jun 1, 2021 | 0
Q&A with the Animal Shelter: Can I adopt a pet from your shelter?
Each month, you will have the chance to have your questions answered by the animal shelter.
Can I adopt a pet from your shelter?
Adoptions at the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter are currently suspended due to the pandemic. However, all our available animals are transferred to our partner organizations to find great homes! Visit our website to find a list of other area shelters and rescues that may be able to match you up with your new family member.
Services we provide beyond adoptions include:
- Reuniting lost animals with their owners.
- Providing medical treatment to animals who come in as lost or stray.
- Investigating dog bites, animal cruelty and neglect.
- Caring for animals in emergency situations.
I know my cat has a microchip, but I’m not sure which company it is with or whether my contact information is correct. What can I do?
We encourage people to regularly check their chip to make sure it is still functioning and that the contact information associated with it is current. It can take a few steps to verify everything, but the time spent will be well worth it if your pet ever gets lost.
- Have your pet scanned for a microchip. Your veterinarian’s office will probably do that free of charge and will be able to give you the chip number. You can also call Animal Services for a free appointment to bring your pet by the shelter and we’ll scan it for you!
- Go to PetMicrochipLookup.org and enter the number. This database from the American Animal Hospital Association will tell you which company manufactured the chip.
- Next, call that number or go to the company’s website to verify or update your information.
- Finally, you can create a secondary registration at FoundAnimals.org for free. We can also add your pet’s microchip information to our records here at Animal Services.
For more information on these topics and more, please visit www.WashingtonCountyPets.com. The Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter is located in downtown Hillsboro at 1901 SE 24th Ave.
Email your questions to: Stacy_Beckley@co.washington.or.us