Q&A with the Animal Shelter: Questions about dog licenses

Q&A with the Animal Shelter: Questions about dog licenses



Each month, you will have the chance to have your questions answered by the animal shelter.


I got a puppy! How soon do I need to get him licensed?

Washington County Animal Services offers a special free tag to all puppies younger than six months old. Your pup can wear this “Puppy License” until they are old enough for a dog license. This tag can help us get them home should they wander off and get lost! The Washington County Code says this about dog licenses: “Every owner of a dog that resides in Washington County and that has a set of permanent canine teeth or has attained the age of six months, whichever event occurs first, shall immediately obtain a license for the dog…” So, when the puppy reaches six months or gets its permanent teeth, you or your veterinarian need to submit the dog’s rabies vaccination certificate to us to convert the puppy tag into an adult dog license. You will start paying for the license at that point and then you’ll renew the license throughout the life of your dog. Check out our website or reach out to our staff if you have any questions. We are happy to talk you through the licensing process!


Do you offer any discounts on dog licenses?

Yes! We offer discounts for spayed/neutered dogs, as well as when you opt to pay for two or three years of licensing at a time, rather than paying annually. We also offer a discount for older adults in our community, provided that one of the human owners of the dog is at least 65 years of age and the dog has been spayed or neutered. You can purchase or renew your dog license and receive these discounts online, in person or by mail.


For more information on these topics and more, please visit www.WashingtonCountyPets.com. The Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter is located in downtown Hillsboro at 1901 SE 24th Ave.

Email your questions to: Stacy_Beckley@co.washington.or.us