Say no to stress and live with less
10 November nuggets to nibble on
As we are heading towards the end of 2023, the following are some of the key nuggets from working with adults who are downsizing.
- Downsizing possessions needs to be done more than once.
- Downsizing requires tough decisions to be made regarding what to keep. It is infinitely easier when you think of it as what to keep, rather than what to throw away.
- What if is not the right framework to determine whether to hold onto something, as those situations rarely occur and lead you to hold onto something you will never use.
- Start early: there is always 2- 4 times more items to go through then it appears. I don’t want my legacy to be storage containers of stuff.
- Only keep what really matters, we think everything does but like good friends, you only have a few. Treasure your relationships not your possessions.
- Donating items means someone is getting blessed and you are gaining freedom.
- If you are in your 80’s and have more shoes and purses than a 20 something, it is time to reduce. Life truly begins when you have put your house in order.
- Four plates, 2-4 glasses, 2-4 cups, 3-towels and 3-washcloths are plenty. Less stuff means: less to clean, less mess and less stress.
- It is your home, think outside the box to arrange the space so it works for you. Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Less is more!
Throw out the excess, clean up the mess, say no to stress and live with less. You will feel better for it!
Generations in a home is a treasure, downsizing is a gift! Please feel free to contact Mature Moves Made Easy or the Mature Moves Real Estate Team at 971-227-1302 or email Kimberly@mmret.com.