Summer is finally here! There is nothing like locally grown in the Pacific NW
Oregonians have been fooled before, but it’s safe to say now that summer has officially begun. However, a cooler and rainier Spring than average means that summer crops are trying to play catch up.
Customers should continue to be patient as the summer produce bounty is just beginning to hit market stalls. On the bright side is that many Spring treats people love will stick around in the market for a bit longer. Strawberries generally peter out by the second week of July, but shoppers will be lucky to enjoy this sweet treat through the end of July, maybe even early August! Shoppers that have their eyes on heirloom tomatoes, corn, and okra may need to wait till later in the month, or even August to pick up these summer items.
It may be tempting to shop for summer produce at the grocery store where it has traveled from California or Mexico, but the Market encourages folks to be patient a bit longer. There is nothing better than locally grown in the Pacific Northwest. Better yet it is an important job of supporting a local food economy.
Our farmers are grateful to have such a supportive community of shoppers!
Grilled Lamb or Goat Loin Chops
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 4 goat or lamb loin chops
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup of freekeh
- 2-3 mixed summer squash and zucchini
- ½ pint of cherry tomatoes halved
- Greek salad dressing
- Pesto, optional
- Allow meat to come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Rub olive oil all over loin chops and salt and pepper generously.
- Burn hardwood charcoal until grey ash forms over the top. Section coals into a two-zone fire with a heap of coals on one side of the grill for searing, and a thin layer of coals on the other for slow cooking. Sear the chops over the high heat on each side (about 1-2 minutes on each side), and then move them over the lower heat section to finish, cooking slowly. When you press them and they seem to be barely firm, they are done.
- Cook freekeh according to package instructions. In a medium bowl toss 1 tablespoon olive oil with chopped summer squash, and season with salt and pepper. Roast or grill vegetables for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through. Return to the bowl and add freekeh, cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of Greek salad dressing. Toss till well combined.
- Spoon out equal portions of salad onto plates. Top with loin chops and finish with a dollop of pesto if using.
What’s in Season?
- Sugar Snap peas
- Summer squash
- Fava beans
- Green Beans
- Wax beans
- Leafy greens
- Onions & leeks