brg_admin | Jun 1, 2021 | 0
The Hidden Truth About Diabetes and Obesity: You have control over your health!
According to the CDC, getting covid-19 and having diabetes increased your risk of hospitalization six times and the death rate was 12 times higher. As covid-19 continues to impact our world, it is important to do everything you can to stay healthy.
A few quick stats:
- In 2017, the estimated total cost of diagnosed diabetes in the U.S. was $327 billion
- In 2018, about 34 million Americans 18 or older had diagnosed or undiagnosed diabetes
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the US
- For the United States between 2017–2018, the age-adjusted prevalence of obesity in adults was 42.4% of the entire population
- Inflammation triggered by obesity may be responsible for a threefold greater risk of pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs) in COVID-19 patients who are obese
- Processed foods, junk foods and soft drinks are key culprits in the rise of obesity and chronic diseases that have a key role to play in COVID-19 deaths
The last stat is actually the most important! What you are seeing is that lifestyle is a major contributor to diabetes, obesity, and many other chronic health issues. This is the part of sickness that is often hidden from the public. You have control over your health! You get to choose what you eat. You get to choose when you exercise. You also get to experience the benefits, or consequences of your choices.
Now, don’t think you can reverse years of poor habits in a matter of a few weeks. But simple baby steps over time have shown one can overcome both diabetes and obesity. As implied, nutrition and exercise are high on the list of areas to look at when evaluating your lifestyle choices for health. What is often overlooked is how your body is functioning overall. Understand that you can eat the best foods in the world and follow the perfect workout schedule, but if your body is not functioning well it can’t fully absorb the nutrients and build balanced muscles.
So how do you find out how your body is functioning? Glad you asked! The brain is the main controller of the functions in the body. The better your brain is able to communicate over the nerves to the body, the better your body should work.
Therefore, a great place to begin when looking to improve the function of the body is the nervous system. And a great place to have your nervous system checked is in a chiropractic office. Look for a chiropractor that goes beyond pain control and looks at overall spinal structure and function. The better the spine works, the better the nerves function. The better the nerves function, the better the body functions – and the better you function overall!
FREE Co-Morbidity Workshop archived on Facebook and YouTube
If you would like more information on how you can minimize your risks of chronic disease, check out the 3rd in a 3-part online series: “Fighting the Co-Morbidities of Covid-19: The Struggle with Obesity and Diabetes” archived here:
- The Beaverton Family Chiropractic Facebook page www.Facebook.com/BFCPC
- YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnKHvzoC6lKeGrfnP3Lm6hg
For more information, contact Dr. Dan Miller at Beaverton Family Chiropractic: 503-644-8844 or visit: www.BeavertonFamilyChiropractic.com