Thinking About a New Venture? Start Now!
September can be a great time to put your entrepreneurial ideas into action. For many, kids are back in school, vacations have been taken, and thoughts about creating a new venture rekindle.
We are fortunate in Beaverton to have a strong ecosystem for entrepreneurs of all backgrounds. No matter your business dream, there are people and organizations that can help you transform your ideas into reality.
The Impact Beaverton program at the Beaverton Area Chamber of Commerce provides entrepreneurs technical support and resources for all types of business. Our clients include an extremely diverse array of restaurants, retail, catering, arts & crafts, personal care services, construction, childcare, counseling, and even trucking businesses. We also assist people interested in starting nonprofit organizations.
One of the primary ways we help emerging entrepreneurs is guidance on the many steps to start an organization. There are many key decisions that need to be made to get your business set up and ready for customers.
- What will you name your business? Is that name available for use at local and state levels? What if you hope to expand beyond Oregon?
- Once you have chosen a name, have you reserved the web domain for your business? What platform should you use to host your website? How should you set up your website to best support your business goals?
- What form of organization or organizational structure is best for your business? Should you start an LLC (Limited Liability Company) or a Corporation? Would it be okay to just register an Assumed Business Name?
- How much money will you need to get set up and start serving customers? Do you need physical space and / or equipment? Are there any grants that might help you get started? Can you qualify for a loan if needed?
- How many employees will you need to run your business? What are the steps to take to hire, train, and manage employees?
- Who will help you with branding and marketing? Where will you advertise and what strategies will you use to attract customers? What will you do to ensure customers are satisfied, keep coming back, and tell others about you?
- How much time will you have to commit to your business? How well do you deal with uncertainty and stress? Who will be alongside you to support you and provide advice?
Yes, there is a lot to consider.
It can be helpful to develop a business plan – a written document that helps to answer all these questions. While many entrepreneurs start without a formal business plan, having one can be a great source of guidance and help you tell your story to others. They are also critical if you are trying to attract investors or apply for grants or loans.
We would love to help you with your entrepreneurial journey. For more information and to set a time to meet, please email Rob Routhieaux, Director of Small Business Support & Development at Impact Beaverton, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let’s get started!
By Rob Routhieaux, Director of Small Business Support & Development. For more information about how your business can be involved or sponsorship opportunities, email us at email@example.com or call 503-644-0123.