THPRD News: Budget Update | Join a Committee | October Events
Budget Update: THPRD is looking at options to stabilize funding for park and recreation services to maintain service levels. THPRD is looking at an upcoming $16 Million gap in the operating budget, representing about 21% of the district’s annual budget. Without additional revenue sources, the district would be looking at closing facilities, reducing park and recreation services such as childcare programs, and having to reduce staffing by up to approximately 50 full-time employees and 250 part-time employees.
The THPRD Board of Directors has been reviewing stable funding options for months, including the possibility of asking voters to consider a local option levy for district operations as early as 2024, similar to many other local government agencies.
Volunteers are serving on a Levy Task Force to advise the THPRD Board of Directors on if the district should pursue an operating levy and what services should the levy fund.
To learn more about the THPRD budget, visit the district’s website at www.thprd.org.
Apply for THPRD Advisory or Budget Committees: The Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District is encouraging community members to apply for openings on the district’s three Advisory Committees and Budget Committee.
Applications are available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7XM6RSN. The deadline to submit applications is Monday, October 23.
Advisory Committee volunteers review plans, provide feedback, and take part in lively discussions about district programs, facilities and parks. We have openings on the Nature & Trails, Parks & Facilities, and Programs & Events committees.
- Nature & Trails Advisory Committee: Share your enthusiasm and expertise for natural resource management, environmental education, wildlife, and trail development and use. This committee meets once a month, typically the 3rd Wed. of the month at 6:30 pm.
- Parks & Facilities Advisory Committee: Focus on park design, helping making spaces accessible to everyone, community gardens, dog parks, athletic facilities, and historic properties. This committee meets once a month, typically the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 6pm.
- Programs & Events: Advise the district on what programs should be offered and expanded, provide input on district-wide community events, and review programming content in recreation, sports, aquatics, environmental education and more. This committee meets once a month, typically the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm.
- Budget Committee: The Budget Committee is responsible for providing public oversight of budget preparations, recommending changes to the proposed budget, and supplying information to the public about district business and operations.
The Budget Committee meets at least three times per year to 1) review the current year budget and operating results; 2) discuss the proposed budget for the upcoming year; and 3) approve the budget to be considered for adoption by the Board of Directors. Other meetings may be scheduled as the committee deems necessary.
People of all backgrounds and experience levels are encouraged to apply. These positions are critical to represent the broad perspectives of district patrons.
- 14: Pumpkin Bob ∙Harman Swim Center ∙ 3 – 4:30 pm ∙ Harman Swim Center
- 14: Halloween Silly Walk & Dance Party ∙ 4 – 6:30 pm ∙ Conestoga Recreation & Aquatic Center
- 18: Movement & Merlot ∙ 6 – 8 pm ∙ Cooper Mountain Nature House
- 21: Festival del Sempoashochitl ∙ 4 – 8 pm ∙ Garden Home Rec Center
- 27: Pumpkin Patch Pool Party ∙ 4:30 – 7:30 pm ∙ Aloha Swim Center
- 28: Fall Festival ∙ Cedar Hills Rec Center ∙ 11 am – 3 pm
Visit www.thprd.org/events/ to find out more information about all these events and more!