THPRD News: Summer Registration is April 15th!
In-district registration begins on Saturday, April 15 and out-of-district registration begins on Monday, April 17. Plan your summer activities early and reserve your spot!
Facility Hours and Operations Update: We’ve received several questions from the public lately about why their favorite facility is closed some days or is open less hours than before the pandemic. The reality is that staffing shortages in areas such as aquatics, combined with added budget pressures from increased personnel services costs and inflation have resulted in significant budget pressures. All of our centers have been deeply impacted. Here is a summary of the changes to our operational hours.
- Sunset Swim Center is finally open after 3 years! Sunset was closed for three years and was finally able to reopen on March 27. However the facility is open just 4 hours a day – Monday through Friday for now.
- 4 centers are closed BOTH Saturdays and Sundays, including the ones in Aloha, Elsie Stuhr, Garden Home, and Harman Swim Centers.
- 3 centers are closed Sundays: Beaverton Swim Center, Cedar Hills Rec Center, and the Tualatin Hills Nature Center.
- And 2 centers have seen significant changes to their weekday hours since before the pandemic: Aloha Swim Center and the Tualatin Hills Athletic Center.
District staff are working on recommendations to address the funding gaps and will be updating the board and the public at-large on options the district may wish to pursue to address the budgetary issues in the coming months.
Calling all Coaches – Volunteers Needed: Coaches for year-round youth athletic leagues are needed to volunteer. Give back to your community and inspire youth by creating a positive environment that promotes self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Basketball: Winter, Spring, and Summer for grades 5-12
- Volleyball: Fall and Summer for grades 4-12
Fitness in the Park: The Fitness in the Park schedule is available at www.thprd.org and new FREE classes are available every week in parks throughout the district.
Lifeguarding and Junior Guard Classes continue through Spring: Classes focus on developing swimming skills to help participants meet the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course prerequisites and improve stroke technique. The camp and class introduce participants to lifesaving skills, including in-water rescues, rescue tube use, first aid, CPR, and AED skills (no certifications). Learn more here: http://www.thprd.org/activities/aquatics/lifeguard-training-and-certification.
Spring Cleaning: Maintenance is out cleaning tennis courts, power washing playgrounds, preparing baseball and softball fields for spring programming. And portable restrooms for programmed sports sites will return this month.
Visit www.thprd.org/events/ to find out more information about all these events and more!