What if my dog bites someone? Q&A with the Animal Shelter

What if my dog bites someone? Q&A with the Animal Shelter



What should I do if I get bit by a dog in Washington County?

If a dog bites you, first you should seek medical help if necessary. Then call Washington County Animal Services at 503-846-7041 to report the dog bite. All other animal bites, including cat bites, should be reported to Washington County Disease Control and Prevention (DCAP) at 503-846-3594. It is very important for you to report any animal bite that breaks your skin because of the risk of disease. Washington County will provide you with next steps depending on the situation.


What if my dog bites someone?

Just as you would do if it was you who got bit, for dog bites call Animal Services at 503-846-7041, and for all other animal bites call DCAP at 503-846-3594. By law, dogs that bite humans and break the skin must be quarantined and observed for 10 days. This is to make sure they do not show any symptoms of rabies. Although rare, this is a very serious and deadly disease that can be transmitted through a bite. If a dog is up to date on its rabies vaccine, it can usually be observed at home. If a dog is not up to date on its rabies vaccine, or if the bite was a particularly dangerous one, the dog may be required to be quarantined and observed at a licensed veterinarian’s office or with Washington County Animal Services. Under most circumstances the dog will be released from home quarantine and/or returned to the owner at the end of the observation period.


Each month, you will have the chance to have your questions answered by the animal shelter.

For more information on these topics and more, please visit www.WashingtonCountyPets.com  or call us at (503) 846-7041. The Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter is located in downtown Hillsboro at 1901 SE 24th Ave. Email your questions to: Stacy_Beckley@co.washington.or.us