brg_admin | Jan 1, 2021 | 0
Winter is Near… Are You Ready?
Last winter was mild, but are you ready for what this winter might have in store? Below are tips to help you become better prepared for winter.
- Ensure each member of your household has a warm coat, gloves/mittens, hat and water-resistant boots.
- Winterize your car and always keep your fuel tank full. Have additional supplies in your vehicle such as flares, chains/traction devices, blankets, water and nonperishable food items.
- Keep extra supplies available such as a snow shovel, blankets, first-aid kit, manual can opener, radio and surge protector for electronics.
- Keep flashlights, light sticks or other alternate sources of light on hand.
- Check battery-powered equipment (radio, flashlights) and have spare batteries on hand.
- Stock up on basic food items for a minimum of two weeks.
- Stock up on pet food/water for two weeks.
- Store enough water for one gallon per person per day for two weeks.
- For propane or oil heat, check for adequate fuel supply. For fireplace, have it inspected, making sure chimney is not blocked and keep extra wood on hand.
- Wrap inside/outside pipes to prevent damage.
Current Weather and Road Condition Information:
- National Weather Service http://www.weather.gov – Current local weather forecasts.
- Trip Check http://www.tripcheck.com – Check your route using road-side Cameras.
- Washington County Roads http://wc-roads.com View status of roads/bridges in Washington County
- Trip Check Dial 5-1-1 – Recorded message describing road status.
For more preparedness information, visit www.BeavertonOregon.gov/prepare.